Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Pattern question - a diversion

I picked up the January Burda Magazine and am quite smitten with the dress on the cover.

This one.  It looks very plain here, but demurely interesting in the magazine photo.

Here's the schematic drawing.  I think cuffs at my elbow would drive me crazy so I'd lengthen the sleeves.

I have some really nice navy teal (if that's a colour) lightweight wool & cashmere blend fabric, with a jacquard/texture combination woven into it. Scrumptious and understated - hopefully not boring (Montreal, 2010).

Then I started thinking of jackets because a lightweight wool dress doesn't cut it for warmth during winter here in Canada's capital.  (Don't laugh, I might get to it before spring!)

I have another piece - truly scrumptious hand spun, dyed & woven Merino wool from sheep raised by the spinner/dyer/weaver close to home in the Ottawa Valley (Fabric Flea Market 2009).  It's a cushy jacket-weight, multi-coloured including teal/turquoise, and definitely not lightweight.  I don't have a great deal of this, about 3 metres but it's only 90cm (36") wide.

I identified two candidates from the October Burda Magazine.  This was my first choice, subject to a question for you:













Second choice - ignore that it's shown in shearling; I'm confident it would work in wool:










So here's the question.  Which of these two styles would you choose to wear over the dress?  Can two vaguely shirt-style collars get along?  What if I modified choice #1 so it's single breasted with a slightly lower front neck (maybe 5cm or 2" lower)?

Any other pattern suggestions for my hypothetical jacket?

I have a feeling I know what you're going to say, but go ahead anyway!

(PS - I do remember I've got some UFOs in the sewing room, but a girl can daydream...)

No comments:

Post a Comment