Friday, August 6, 2010

Jeans & fit

Just about everyone (all 67 of them) who has reviewed Jalie 2908 for women's stretch jeans on PatternReview has loved it.  Me ... well, let's just say I'm working on it.  However, I fear I'm not really the target audience.  I do not want very tight jeans, like enough room to sit down without the waistband pulling down at CB, and really don't care for either a low rise or a boot cut.  Holy cow!  I should have just bought their version of Mom Jeans (#968) and be done with it!

I traced according to my hip (size U) and waist (size S) measurements.  When I compared the pattern to my current jeans pattern, a Burda WOF pattern from 2004 (reviewed most recently here), I decided I needed insurance and added 1.5cm extra on the side and inseams.  The pattern includes 1cm so that gave me 2.5cm or 1" to play with.

I cut out of an inexpensive denim with the required amount of lycra/stretch.  The assembly of the fronts and backs went swimmingly.  The rest, not so much.  All came to a grinding halt when I tried them on after basting at the original seam line.  Talk about skin tight!  Since then I have let out both the side seams (better) and the inseam (not a help).  I have read and re-read Kathleen Fasanella on why jeans fit lousy these days.  These jeans definitely give the mono-butt effect, which I'm not all that enamoured of.  There will be no pictures, by the way!

My current theory is that I need more length and width through the back.  I am off to purchase more inexpensive denim of similar quality.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment