Thursday, May 6, 2010

Buttons, buttons everywhere ...

I am at the stage of auditioning buttons from my stash for my jacket.  I need exactly 1 (one) button.  Vogue says it should be 3/4" (19mm).  Personally, I think that's way too small for a single button on a jacket.  Or at least, for a jacket being made in 2010, since we are now used to seeing gigantic buttons on all kinds of things. 

So I have a stash of buttons.  Some would say it's extensive.  Here's a partial picture:

This is one of those small parts drawer units you can buy at Canadian Tire.  I sort the buttons by colour, more or less.  Then I browse the drawers when I need buttons for something.

You'd think I would have no trouble finding a button, right?  But more often than not, I don't find what I need in my stash.

Buttons, buttons, everywhere ... and not a one to suit. 


I identified several possibilities for my jacket, but none of them is quite right.  Here is the lot.  From upper left, moving clockwise, they are:  square coconut shell (too reddish), brassy metal (23 mm), plastic/metal combo (29 mm), bamboo (too yellow), black glass (25 mm), bright gold (too bling), plastic combo (34 mm).

Here are the best 4 on a scrap of fabric.  Tell me which one you like best.
Left:  I love this brown plastic one on the fabric but is it too big at 34 mm (1.34")? 

Right:  I fear the plastic/metal combo is a bit too light in colour.  Do you agree?









Left:  This metal button is interesting but may be too small (even though it's bigger than Vogue thinks it should be) and close in colour to the fabric - it could get lost.

Right:  While there's a lot of contrast with the black glass button, it could work. 


Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment